Do you have either over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription medicine that is expired or that you want to get rid of? Throwing these things in the trash, pouring them down the sink or flushing them down the toilet are all the WRONG things to do. Medicine disposed of in this way can end up in the environment (e.g., in our waterways), as well as in the hands of children, teens and adults who might accidentally or intentionally look to use them inappropriately.
National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day is Saturday, April 27, 2019 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Prescription Drug Take-Back Day is a safe, convenient, and responsible way to dispose of unused or expired prescription drugs.
However, you do to have to wait every year for this one day. Village Green Apothecary participates in a drug take-back program year-round, so you can bring in your unused and expired drugs at any time. Village Green uses the MedSafe™ Medication Disposal System. We can accept over-the-counter and prescription products in almost any dosage, form and type of packaging, but they should be in their original containers. We do not accept injectables, inhalers, medical devices* or liquids* over 4 ounces. To learn more about our MedSafe disosal program, click here.
Here are 5 tips to help you clean out and organize your medicine cabinet:
1. Store these items in a cool place. The bathroom is not a great place. The constant heat from showers and baths can affect the effectiveness of your products.
2. Check the dates before you buy. If you buy a 3-month supply of something, then make sure the date will last you through that.
3. Read and follow the instructions on the labels. If the product tells you to keep it refrigerated, then make sure you do that.
4. If you have purchased supplements and can’t remember why you wanted them or needed them, contact a nutrition expert or pharmacist to help you sort them out.
5. Same goes for prescription drugs. Talk to a pharmacist if you have OTCs or prescriptions that you aren’t sure whether you should keep or throw out.
And remember, when you want to get rid of old medications, you can bring them in to Village Green for safe disposal, anytime.
Photo from here, with thanks.