Mornings in my house can sometimes resemble a carnival. Four people going in four different directions can be very challenging and exhausting. To be honest, many times I find myself sitting at my desk with a rumbling stomach and waning energy by 10:30 am because I haven’t had time or completely forgotten to nourish myself. A healthy smoothie can be the answer.
A few months ago, I decided to make a conscious effort to make a healthy breakfast. About three times a week, I make a healthy smoothie or energy shake. It tastes great, is packed with nutritional goodness, and provides me with energy that lasts me through the morning.
Another benefit has been that my kids and husband love it. So for those mornings that are extra busy, the smoothie gets poured into a to-go cup and we can have breakfast on the way to school, daycare or work… and no need for a drive-thru!
I vary what I put in my shake depending on what fruit I have in my fridge or freezer, but the basics are the same.
– 4 oz almond milk (you can use soy, rice, or even unsweetened juice)
– 8 to 12 oz pure water
– 3 rounded Tbsp organic protein powder (use your favorite, I use Pathway Quicktein Vanilla)
– 1 Tbsp green food blend (I use Pathway UltraGreens)
– 2 tsp healthy oil blend (I use Udo’s Choice Oil Blend)
– 1/4 cup mashed fruit, fresh or frozen (my favorites are mango and strawberry)
Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. This makes one large smoothie or two small smoothies.
You can experiment with other fruits,, nuts, seeds, and even vegetables. Try adding things like a few kale leaves, ground flax seed, chia seeds, almond butter… get creative! Frozen banana is always great too, adding healthy sweetness.
Photo from here, with thanks.