Heartburn is all too common and can no doubt become a difficult challenge. The good news for him and many others who suffer from chronic heartburn is that with the use of both dietary modifications and supplementation, symptoms can improve.
Antacids are often used to provide temporary relief from heartburn through inhibiting the production of digestive enzymes and decreasing the amount of digestive acid produced in the stomach. While they can take away the symptoms initially, with long-term use the situation can worsen as the continued inhibition of enzymes and acid causes further digestive sluggishness and difficulties.
Here are a few supplements I suggest:
1) Heartburn Free: The key ingredient, orange peel extract (ROH10), provides lasting relief without shutting down the production of stomach acid and the dose is every other day.
2) Pathway Digase: Take this full spectrum digestive enzyme with meals for digestive support.
3) Thorne GI-Encap: These capsules contain organic aloe vera, slippery elm, marshmallow root and deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) to help maintain stomach and esophageal health.
4) Aloe Vera Juice can help heal the digestive tract while providing relief from heartburn.
5) GastroSoothe: This product contains DGL and is widely used in Europe. It’s chewable, because saliva enhances the effect of DGL’s natural compounds. Gastro-Soothe® is a natural over-the-counter antacid that contains no sodium, aluminum, sugar, or fructose, and it’s free of side effects such as increased aluminum exposure, constipation, diarrhea, increased blood pressure, and pH imbalance.
From a dietary perspective, avoid large meals that can overtax the digestive processes. Choose smaller, more frequent meals. Caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods should be removed from the diet. Consumption of fatty foods can worsen heartburn. Avoid drinking liquids with your meals.
Herbal teas including chamomile, peppermint and ginger, as well as consuming fresh pineapple and papaya will also help support digestion.
Photo from here, with thanks.