Do you toss and turn at night? Run to-do lists through your head for the next day? Insomina plagues many people in today’s busy world. Trouble with sleep deprivation is that it can have consequences besides being tired the next day. Sleep deprivation results in concentration and memory problem, irritability, work absences and increases in injuries in the workplace. Did you know that car accidents also increase? And research has also shown that chronic insomnia has been linked to depression, hypertension and even obesity.
Luckily, there are a few tricks that you can try to help you get a good night’s sleep that leaves you refreshed and rejuvenated in the morning.
1. Schedule your sleep. Try to go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time in morning. Even on the weekends.
2. Your bedroom is your sanctuary: it is not a place to work, catch up on Grey’s Anatomy, or exercise. It is a place to relax and get some sleep. Invest in a good mattress and linens and make your bed as comfy and as inviting as possible. Sometimes white noise can help, so try a fan – the constant humm may lull you to sleep!
3. Stop the caffeine. It is a vicious cycle – you are exhausted from a sleepless night, so you load up on coffee to get you through the day, and then it is difficult to get back to sleep in the evening. Limit caffeine to the morning and drink herbal teas the rest of the day.
4. Get moving. Exercise promotes sounder sleep, but don’t do it just before bed or you may be extra alert.
5. Drink milk. Milk contains magnesium, a natural relaxant. It also contains tryptophan, an amino acid that may enhance sleepiness. If you don’t eat dairy, you can also try the supplements.
6. Try aromatherapy. Some people find that lavender is effective for promoting sleep. Spray a little lavender in the air or on your pillow before going to bed. Badger Balm makes a wonderful lip balm called Sleep Balm. Moisturize your lips, and place some on your temples before going to bed!
7. Talk to a Village Green consultant about what supplements are available for sound sleep. There are many and we can help you pick the right one for your needs.
It can take a while to get into good sleep habits. But rest assured, these tips are worth a good night’s sleep.