Your diet creates your foundation of health. Are you making food choices that support or hinder your health?
Unfortunately, we are seeing many unhealthy trends in the American diet. It is important to keep in mind that your eating habits and food choices have the ability to either help or exacerbate many common health complaints such as headaches, fatigue, acid reflux and indigestion, insomnia, and obesity. Below is a list of eating trends that can negatively affect one’s health. These trends put stress on the body and contribute toward inflammation, obesity, and nutrient deficiencies, as well as increase risk factors for various chronic diseases.
- Eating out more often, much of it being fast food
- Eating on the run (in the car, at your desk, in front of the TV, etc.)
- Eating more processed foods (containing high salt, sugar, refined oils, artificial colors, preservatives, unhealthy fats, synthetic ingredients, and other additives)
- Eating less fruit, vegetables, and whole grains (getting less fiber, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals)
- Eating more “empty calories” – foods that contain little to no nutritional value (soda, cookies, ice cream, cakes, chips, etc.)
- Drinking more soda and other sugary beverages
- Eating foods containing toxins such as hormones, pesticides, herbicides, etc.
- Eating larger portions of food but getting less quality nutrients
- Eating restricted diets or eating a narrow range of foods
Do you have concerns or questions about your diet? Want to make positive changes? Need advice and recommendations? Call Village Green to set up an appointment with one of our nutritionists. We are happy to provide one-on-one guidance and assist with meal planning.