A great smile is the first thing that people notice. For many, whiter teeth make them feel more confident and they smile more often. But those neon white teeth we see on celebrities are not a reality for most. Teeth naturally fall within a range of light greyish-yellow shades, depending on your genetics, and will darken as you age. Lifestyle habits also play a role in the whiteness of your your teeth.
Here are some tips to whiten teeth naturally, for a brighter smile:
• Drinking coffee, tea and red wine, and eating dark berries and chocolate can stain the teeth, and those stains build up over time. Even drinking milk can lead to an increase in tartar production that causes yellowing. Limit the number of cups of tea and coffee you drink, and swap the red wine for a glass of white. Or brush your teeth after eating or drinking, or rinse your mouth with water.
• Visit your dentist for regular cleanings and checkups. Some conditions that cause discoloration may be preventable.
• Floss at least once a day.
• Avoid all tobacco products. Smoking not only blackens teeth, but kills healthy gum tissue, posing serious health risks to your mouth.
• Saliva is crucial to a healthy mouth. Encourage the production of saliva by crunching cruciferous vegetables and fruit such as celery, broccoli, carrots, apples and pears to help scrub away stains.
• Brushing with a mixture of equal parts baking soda and salt, a couple of times a week, is very effective in removing stains; it kills the bacteria that causes plaque and reduces acids that harm tooth enamel. Another option is using a natural whitening toothpaste.
Photo from here, with thanks.