I was invited to a botox party a few months ago and graciously declined. I like my wrinkles… I do wish there less of them, but I am okay with that. Perhaps the main reason I declined is that I am not keen on someone injecting anything with a very sharp needle into my face, even for the promise of more youthful skin.
Whether you are against botox, or just plain afraid of needles (that’s me), there are many non-painful ways to make your skin appear more radiant and healthy.
Try the following:
1. Stop tanning. Baking in the sun is a sure way to get the leathery skin that people want to avoid. Wear big hats and sunglasses to protect your face, and use sunblock for extra protection. Don’t forget your neck and hands! These areas tend to be forgotten and can really show age.
2. Sleep. Getting insufficient shut-eye can age skin prematurely and, in the short run, result in dark circles and a lackluster complexion.
3. Cleanse. Before you even put your head on your pillow, make sure you remove all makeup and cleanse your face. Neglecting to do this can lead to break outs and dull skin!
4. Hydrate. Making sure you are getting enough hydration inside and out is an important step to making your skin look healthy. Drinking plenty of water and conscientiously moisturizing in the morning and evening will help hold moisture in the skin cells.
5. Stop smoking. Smoking is the number one avoidable cause of wrinkles. Smoking guarantees to result in deep wrinkles on the upper lip and in just a few years, a very unattractive leathery look.
6. Eat fat. Fats play a vital role in the human body. Foods like salmon, walnuts, and coconut oil provide healthy fats that are necessary for radiant skin. Without enough fat, you may experience dry skin, which makes you look older. If you don’t get enough of these fats in your diet, an essential fatty acids supplement may help.
7. Exfoliate. A surface layer of dead cells results in a dull, drab appearance to the skin. A simple method of home exfoliation is to apply a weekly face mask. Homemade masks are excellent, or you can purchase one at a health food store that is right for your skin type.
Homemade Face Mask
- ¼ cup powdered oatmeal
- 1 Tbsp yogurt
- Few drops of rose water
Mix the yogurt and powdered oatmeal until it is paste with a fairly thick consistency. Add 3 drops of rose water. Apply liberally to the face and neck avoiding the eyes and lips. Let mask penetrate for 5 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, pat dry, and apply a moisturizer.
Photo from here, with thanks.