PMS (premenstrual syndrome) is the name of a group of physical, emotional and psychological symptoms that occur in the last 2 weeks of the menstrual cycle, just before menses. Affecting four out of ten women, PMS symptoms can impact the quality of your life and the ability to do normal activities. While it’s normal to have minor discomfort before your period, severe PMS symptoms such as anxiety, moodiness, irritability, pain, bloating, acne, and headaches may be alerting you to some internal imbalances. While it’s not known what causes PMS, it is likely that changing hormone levels and brain chemistry play a role. Diet, activity level and stress may also be related to the severity of symptoms. Continue reading “4 Supplements May Help With PMS”
We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but this is especially true for children. Starting the day with a high-quality, nutritious meal can instantly put your children in a good mood and give them better concentration for all those hours of learning. But research shows that eating breakfast every day also has long-term effects, including decreasing the risk of obesity.
Here are 4 steps to getting the most out of your breakfast.
1. Choose whole grains. Whole grains offer protection against diabetes, cancer, and stroke. Continue reading “Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day”
I regularly get questions from patients about calcium. Do I need more? How much do I take? Can I take it just once a day? Should it have magnesium? Will it fix my osteoporosis? Lots of questions…
Well, I start by reminding patients that calcium isn’t just for bones. It’s required for muscle contraction, blood vessel contraction/expansion, secretion of hormones and enzymes, and sending messages through the nervous system. About 99% of your total body calcium is stored in bones and the remaining 1% is found throughout the body in muscle, cellular fluids and blood. It’s about 2% of your total body weight. If you don’t have a calcium-rich diet, your body will continue to extract calcium stored in your bones to meet your active daily needs. Continue reading “The Calcium Challenge”
The last day of this glorious summer. It’s not easy saying goodbye to peaches, zucchini, tomatoes, corn and berries… oh, and the basil, glorious basil. It has been such an abundant growing season around these parts and I’m not sure I’m ready for the squashes, kale and turnips just yet.
This recipe combines beans, tomatoes and basil to make a simple stew that still tastes like summer, but keeps you warm when the nights get cooler. My suggestion is to use all fresh ingredients. If you don’t grow them, head to your farmers’ market to take advantage of the last of this summer’s fare. Continue reading “The Last Summer Recipe: White Bean Stew”
As a nutritionist, I answer a lot of questions about a variety of different health challenges. But, the body system that seems to bring the most people to Village Green searching for natural solutions is the digestive system. Uncomfortable symptoms such as indigestion, abdominal pain, heartburn, gas, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea can be debilitating. And, many of the over-the-counter and prescription medications can act as bandaids and do not fix the underlying issues.
More and more evidence is showing that GI function and the gut microbiome are critical for optimal health and play a role in so many conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, mood disorders, autoimmune diseases and autism. Therefore, in my opinion, healing the digestive system truly is the place to start when dealing with any health concern, not just GI complaints. Tests for GI health can be very useful. Continue reading “Two Important Tests for GI Health Offered Through Village Green”