This past weekend, we had an impromptu neighborhood potluck. I had been looking for an opportunity to use some of the basil I had (aside from using it for pesto). I combined folate-rich spinach, extra virgin olive oil and plenty of beta carotene-rich basil for a summer spinach and basil pasta salad that delighted the potluck crowd!
I used pasta, but after making it, I think substituting chick peas or another hearty bean for the pasta would make this dish higher in protein and equally as tasty.
Spinach and Basil Pasta Salad
– 1 box of whole grain pasta (I used bow tie, because I had it on hand)
– 1 package of fresh baby spinach (about a 6 oz bag)
– 2 cups of basil (I tore mine into small pieces)
– 1/2 cup extra virgin olive olive oil
– 3 or 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
– 4 ounces of prosciutto
– 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
– pine nuts to sprinkle on top
– salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta as indicated on the box. Drain, rinse and let cool. Continue reading “Dinner Tonight: Easy Spinach and Basil Pasta Salad”