In the most recent report from my local utility (Burbank, California Power and Water), residential water usage has declined 13.1% over the past two years. Here’s why.
1) Constant communication to residents and businesses from Burbank P & W on the importance of conserving water.
2) Offering free home audits to residents to identify ways to conserve.
3) Mandatory installation of 2.5 gpm showerheads, 2.0 gpm kitchen faucet aerators, 1.6 gpf (gallon per flush) toilets in all new, remodeled, and rental buildings.
4) Landscape watering allowed on only 3 days per week, and never between the hours of 9AM and 6PM when evaporation would be the greatest.
5) No use of hose to wash driveways.
6) Restaurants offer water to patrons only if requested and all hotels in the city must offer the option for guests to reuse towels and bed linens. Continue reading “These Measures to Improve Water Conservation Are Working”Read More