Each year when spring comes, bringing its new blossoms, budding trees, and cleansing rains, I recognize within myself a desire to start anew, start fresh, to cleanse my body of the heavier proteins and fats I ate during winter, and eat the fresh new foods that spring has to offer. I see spring as an opportunity to reset the body and put into place healthy eating patterns for the summer months ahead.
Our bodies go into a natural phase of detoxification or cleansing during the spring months, so this time of year is an ideal time to start a detox or cleanse program. There are many, many cleanse products on the market, including pills, fibers, herbs and other supplements. Many of these can be helpful in the process of ridding the body of toxic buildup. However, one of the most simple and effective ways to cleanse is simply to use the innate healing powers of real, whole food (fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, etc.) to shift the body into a natural and healthy phase of detoxification.
For the second year in a row, I have taken myself and my clients through a safe and effective food based 21-day cleanse. Some of the benefits I’ve noticed include:
- 8-10 lbs weight loss for many of the participants
- A reduction in or complete elimination of cravings
- Significant reduction in stress
- Overall heightened sense of well-being and peacefulness in the body
- Positive changes in eating habits and awareness around healthy food choices
- Enhanced clarity of thinking
- Increased desire to truly care for the body
- Continuation of improved symptoms and improved eating habits post-cleanse